Thursday, November 17, 2011

Snowball effect

I can honestly say that I thought it would take 2 weeks to recruit 25 people to sponsor me in my weight loss efforts. After just 2 days, over 30 people had offered to pledge, 5 people offered to help me shop, 12 people offered to help me learn how to cook healthy, 9 people offered to help with workout plans, and everyone one of those people offered up their time and energy to help in any other way.

I was overwhelmed by this response. But it did not stop there. People started forwarding the original email. People talked about it at work. People called other family and friends. Emails started flowing in constantly. Voicemails were left on my phone from friends and family who were genuinely excited for me, and they wanted to be a part of my life change. I am humbled by everyone's kindness.

Friends started to get creative with their pledges. $1 per pound up to 50 lbs, and then $2 per pound if I can lose over 50 lbs. Another said, if I can keep the weight off until next year's Relay, they would double this year's donation! Wow! "Hello Motivation. I am Ryan."

Right now, I have 88 people who have pledged to hold me accountable and donate at least $1 per pound. This incredible act of kindness by my family and friends adds up to about $115.50 per pound. It is hard to say the exact amount because of the per pound pledge changes for some people based on if I lose 25, 50, 75 or more.

I still have 13 days before I start on December 1st. Will the snowball keep rolling? I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    I will donate one dollar per pound up to twenty five dollars. I am behind you all the way...you can do this! Last March, my doctor told me I was a walking stroke.I started cutting down all my portions, cut out most of my sweets and started walking 30 minutes per day. I have lost 25 pounds. I am doing it very slowly, but it is working.If I can do it...I know you can do it! I feel wonderful. Also, my grandson, Nick Johnson loves having you as his math teacher. Good luck on your healthy new adventure. Gloria Newvine

    ReplyDelete