Saturday, January 19, 2013

Storytelling, Speaking Or Inspiring?

Storytelling is a skill, an art form and revered in every culture since the beginning of time.  To paint a picture with words, gestures, expressions and emphasis at just the right time.  To captivate an audience, or least hold their attention for more than two minutes.  People who possess these skills are known by their friends and family as the storytellers.

I have been told I have these skills, and I think it is one of the qualities that makes me a great teacher.  I can make Algebra sound interesting and fun to group of students who do not want anything to do with it but are legally obligated to master it.  It's part of the teaching art form.

Back to storytelling.  A person that is a great storyteller is not always a great public speaker.  One person may feel comfortable telling a story to friends and family, but may freeze up in front of a large crowd.  This is another area that I learned to handle with little stress or fear.  I started speaking in front of groups of people as ASB President of Finn Hill Jr High, and then continued as Youth of the Year for the Kirkland Boys and Girls Club.  Since I was 15 years old, I have had no problem taking the microphone and being the MC, giving a toast or performing a ceremony.

A great public speaker does not always take their skills to the next level, inspiring those listening.  When a great public speaker inspires the listeners, they leave thinking more deeply about a topic, or leave with a sense of action.  They will want to make a positive change in their own lives, or the lives of others.  They will want to do more, say more or create more.  An inspiring speaker leaves an impression.

Recently I have been told that I am having this impact on others, but it is not because of me.  It is because of you!  My readers, supporters and cancer fighters.

I spoke at the Great West Relay Summit in October about the inspiration you all gave me to lead a healthier life, and change my life for the better.  I spoke about the 127 people that sponsored my weight loss and then the encouragement along the way that you all gave me.  I spoke of the donations you all made, and how many lives will be saved by your generosity.  The response has been incredible!

I have been asked to tell your story at numerous Relay events.  And every time, Relayers tell me that they are inspired to do more, to think outside the box and make a bigger difference in their own lives and the lives around them.

I am a storyteller that is not afraid to speak in front of large groups.  I am telling your story of support, and it is inspiring others.  Thank you for making a larger impact in this world than you thought you were with your donation!

No comments:

Post a Comment