Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dick-O-Rama!

Talk about temptation.

Most people that grew up in the Seattle Area have eaten at Dick's Drive-in and know that the cheap burgers are widely appreciated and devoured.  I remember going there as a child with my Dad in his 1965 Impala before or after Mariners games.  I remember going there with my Mom before or after visiting Grandma and Grandpa.  I remember making trips out to Lake City with friends on the weekends, and bringing college friends up from Oregon just to try a Dick's Deluxe.

Once in high school, a friend thought he could get to the Lake City Dick's during lunch, and get back to Juanita High School without being late to class.  He walked into class 10 minutes late, but proudly held up his Dick's bag.  The teacher excused his tardy knowing the value of a Dick's burger.  The next day, I told my tardy friend to meet me at my car, the previously mentioned Impala was now mine, right after 4th period.  I told him that I thought I could get to Dick's and back without being late.  He laughed and said it was not possible, but he would join me.  A third friend joined in the fun and the next day we sped out of the parking lot moments after 4th period ended.

I should still be in jail for all the laws I broke on this little lunch-time jaunt.  I was driving 80 mph in a 25 mph zone and passing people on the shoulder.  I would use the left turn lane at lights as a passing lane going 90 mph on Bothell Way.  I crossed into on coming traffic to pass people while going up and over Simons Road.  I ran red lights, used the bus only lane and even hit a sidewalk during one stunt-like pass.  By the time we got to Dick's, my two buddies were curled up in the fetal position in the backseat with their eyes closed.

I ordered for the three of us, threw the food in the backseat with the babies and started back toward Kirkland.  We made it back with about 5 minutes to spare.

That is the power of Dick's!  So last night when I attended the Dick-O-Rama, which is hitting all 6 locations in one evening, I was tested.  Is this a true life change?  Answer, yes.  I only had a Diet Coke, Coffee, and two hamburgers.  I finished the night with an extra 300 calories in my pocket!

It feels good to make good choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment