Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chaos, but Good Chaos

Writing my posts have taken a backseat to Chaos.  My life has felt a little out of control the past couple weeks, and it is finally starting to settle into a mild bedlam.

After the snow that left me stranded at home for eight days, and four lost days of school, the semester was extended a week for the students in my school.  This provided an opportunity for my Alg 1 students to demonstrate improvement on an assessment in which they performed poorly.  To aid these students in their attempt to increase their knowledge, and current grade before the end of the semester, I stayed after school to review the material with anyone that wanted assistance for three days a week over two weeks.  17 to 26 students stayed on each of the six days.  That was a lot of Algebra conversations for a two week period!

Event Chair for the Northshore Relay For Life is the other hat that caused the topsy-turviness.  Yes, that's a term.  During these same weeks, I was scheduling, preparing for and attending three meetings per week for my Relay responsibilities.  I "trained" our new Sponsorship chair. Trained is in quotes because she already seemed like a pro, and in her first week lined up five companies to sponsor our event at $1000 a piece.  Then I met with our new ACS staff person and laid out a plan for recruiting, asking, begging and thanking people and businesses in Bothell and Kenmore to join our Relay in some fashion.  Relay meetings take prep, patience and determination, but it is all worth it when new research we funded leads to life saving treatments!

All of this Chaos was good.  I mean it.  It was good.  My students improved their assessment scores by an average of 15%.  A nice little boost to end the semester on I'd say.  And last night at our Relay Team Rally, we had 10 new teams attend!  And 17 overall new teams have signed up this year!  I weathered the Chaos Storm and feel good about the results.

I have received a couple emails asking about Super Bowl Sunday and how I managed my food intake.  Here is what I did:

-I surrounded myself with healthy-minded friends.
-I relied on their expertise for the main dish, pulled pork tacos, 170 calories for 4 oz of meat.
-I cooked and cut into toothpick bites, Turkey Brats for an appetizer. 150 calories per brat.
-I relied on another friend to bring dip and dip-able items. Always a Super Bowl hit! The dip was made from fat-free sour cream, and a ranch seasoning packet.  We dipped cut veggies.  Dip was 20 calories per 2 Tbsp and veggies, come on!
-I drank MGD 64. Four of them.

Throw in a couple of other small things and a great football game, and I was only 1 calorie over my goal for the day!  Knowing that tastes good.

Me, Math Teacher? Part 2 coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment