Monday, March 19, 2012

Special Occasions and Special Pains

Irish Heritage is something that a lot of people try to claim.  Especially on St. Patrick's Day.  Any excuse to go out, get drunk and act inappropriately.  I have been that guy.  What I am talking about?  "...have been that guy."  It's not past tense, I am that guy!  Not this year though.  Alcohol has too many calories to consume in such mass quantities.  I am Irish though and if you need proof, checkout the picture below.  My family all look like little Leprechauns and I look like a giant Leprechaun.

What I did celebrate on Saturday night was my Mom's birthday!  We had her 20th Annual 41st Birthday Celebration at Jak's Grill in Laurelhurst.  Mom loves steak and baked potato, and you can't find a better deal on such a great steak than Jak's (IMO).  Chris, Kaelyn, Mom and I had a great time. Happy Birthday Mom!

Now, since I have started my life change, I have not had very much red meat.  I had one bun-free burger in Vegas, a couple of soft tacos at a friends house, roast beef with the VanGerpens and maybe one other time in that last two and a half months.  Logic would tell me to take it easy at my favorite steak joint, but food is one area that logic has never been my primary guiding factor.  I ordered the Jak's Filet Mignon.  It varies in size, but is usually around 20oz.  They raise their beef locally, use all natural feed and it is dry-aged for 28 days.  I don't want this to turn into a commercial, but I want to make clear the overwhelming forces that were upon me.

The steak was luscious, profoundly beefy and tender.  I was in heaven as I devoured the entire steak.  I may have even closed my eyes and moaned a few times.  Don't Judge Me!!  It was fantastic.  A few hours later was not fantastic.  My intestines were not used to that much beef bulldozing its way through, and the cramps were more than noticeable.  And I won't go into too much detail, but if my dog Boston were still alive, he would not have slept in the bedroom that night.  Even the dog would have had trouble breathing.

Lesson learned; no more 20oz steaks!


1 comment:

  1. A 20 oz. Ok I guess that is your beef quota for a while. Maybe we do fish next dinner. For some reason I rarely think to buy fish and it is so crazy good for you.
    A blip in the road, a nice dinner with your family - not so bad Ry. And you did not accept the beer offered on Sunday ~ You are going great!

    ReplyDelete