Thursday, April 12, 2012

Happy Feet

Once I entered the 7th grade, finding shoes that fit me became difficult.  I always had large feet, but that summer they sprouted like weeds on the first sunny day in spring.  Back then to hear that someone was wearing a size 13 shoe meant that they were likely in the NBA, and probably six feet, six inches tall.  My mom had to trek me from mall to mall in search of a store with size 13 that didn't look like they were made for a geriatric with plantar fasciitis.  Nordstrom Rack, or Famous Footwear were our most successful stops.

Over the years, more and more people have feet that are growing into freakish sizes, which I guess makes it less freakish.  So more and more stores are carrying bigger shoes, but my feet kept growing and by the time I was a senior in high school, I was a size 15.  It got to the point that if we found a store with my size, we bought the shoes before I even laid my eyes on them.  I would walk into a store and ask if they had size 15, and the clerk would check the computer. "Yup, one pair of..."  And I would cut him off, "I'll take them."  There were years that my shoes looked like I had received them free, from the peace corp, after they were thrown from the back of a moving truck in a desolate country.

Then a few years ago I found an new shoe store that opened in Portland, Oregon.  They were hoping to set themselves apart by filling a much needed area of the shoe market.  They only sell sizes 14 and up.  They work with shoe companies to get large sizes in almost every brand and style.  They sell casual, athletic, sport, dress, sandal and everything in between.  Oddball.com became my favorite website.  I read an article about how NBA stars fly into Portland just for the shoe store.  One 1st round pick dropped over $100,000 on shoes.

They were trying to attract internet business, so they offered free shipping for their first year.  I was like a fat kid in a candy store who just found $50 on the ground.  I was buying basketball shoes even though I hadn't played basketball in years.  I bought dress shoes even though I never dress up.  I bought those cool brown leathery shoes that look like they have straps going at all angles.  I bought several different versions of them to be honest.  I had liked those shoes for years, but could never get them in my size. Now I have four different pairs, four different brands.  Then a few years ago, I bought a limited edition pair of shoes that I haven't even put on yet.  They are way too cool for day-to-day wear, so I am saving them for a special occasion.  It's been three years, still waiting...maybe my final weigh-in day.

My students noticed my shoe obsession a couple of years ago.  "Mr. Adams, do you have a shoe fetish?"  "Why?"  "I have kept track and you have worn a different pair of shoes for 12 straight school days."  I guess my students will pay attention to anything besides math.  Even my feet.

I have managed my small addiction and kept myself from buying shoes for the about a year. Until this week.  Now that I am lighter, feeling good and ready to ramp up my exercise, I needed some new shoes.  I bought a pair of walking shoes.  They are Nike, plenty of cushion and breath well.  I bought a pair of running shoes.  They are Adidas, plenty of cushion, really nice support, and breath very well.  Then a pair of trail-runners.  They are Puma, and I have never purchased trail-runners before, so I am not sure if they are good.  But they look awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment