Friday, April 20, 2012

Running, Jogging, Laboring

Running.  This is what I did in Jr High when I was part of the Track and Field team.  I ran the two mile race and although I did not win much, I improved and ended the season with a decent time.  Running four miles was nothing for me.  I would run four miles, and when I finished, I wasn't breathing hard nor was I fatigued.

Jogging. This is what I did when I was still somewhat athletic.  I jogged to warm-up for a football practice.  I jogged to burn calories after a day of bad decisions in my eating.  I jogged to the gym, lifted weights, and jogged home.  I would sometimes jog out of boredom because it was easy and people on TV said I should be active.

Laboring.  That is what I did yesterday.  I have been feeling good lately.  Feeling like my inner-athlete is trying to get out.  I want him to get out; I need him to get out.  So I set my alarm for 6:30am and drove the 7 minutes to my school to use the workout room.  I used the elliptical trainer for 20 minutes, but then listened to my inner-athlete bagging on the layers of fat.  After 20 minutes on the elliptical, I hopped off and went out to the track.  "I can do this," I desperately tried to convince myself.

I started running, like I did in Jr High.  This feels good. My inner-athlete was happy...for about 75 meters.  Then my body said, "Uhh, no."  I slowed down to a jog.  That seemed to work for the next 300 meters, but then it became laborious. I finished the full lap, laboring the final 25 meters.  I was breathing hard and felt fatigued.  I walked for a half-lap, and felt ready again. I started at a jog, and felt good for the first 350 meters, but labored through the final 50 meters of the lap.  I walked for a half-lap, and started again. This time my jog was a reduced version. Shorter strides, slower pace, but still a jog.  This worked well as I finished the full-lap feeling good.  I walked a half-lap, and started the reduced version of a jog again.  I was feeling good for 300 meters, but labored through the final 100 meters.

It's a start.  One mile jogged, with half-laps between each full-lap.  For now I will take it as a starting point, and use it as something to build on.

As always, thank you all for making this a reality for me. I could not have done this without your help, encouragement and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment