Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Not Your Typical Options

Eating has taken on an almost sport-like quality.  The object of the game is to stay under the calorie goal for the day, while still eating food that has a taste that won't make me feel like I am missing out on the 'good stuff,' and eating a quantity that won't make my tum-tum feel empty all the time.  This is a game of trial an error, and sometimes the error will smack you right in the ass.

I may have written about the day that I thought I had enough calories left to have dessert at Applebee's.  Even after dinner I had like 800 calories left, so I ordered the ice cream with a cookie. It was delicious! Then I plugged it into myfitnesspal and saw it was 1500 calories!  Smack!

It's the little things that make the difference.  I grew up eating Mayo on pretty much everything. Sandwiches, artichoke, tomatoes, tuna, hot dogs and sometimes on salads. I could have eaten mayo by the spoon full and not batted an eye.  I said goodbye to mayo long ago, but before I started this life-change, it was cheese on everything.  Now I have to make a decision. Do I put a slice of cheese on my sandwich, or be able to eat a quarter cup of trail mix later today?  I'll take the trail mix every time.

Some other little choices that are helping me win the sport of eating right:  Using non-fat sour cream on sandwiches instead of another condiment.  Marie's Yogurt Dressing on my salads.  It is creamy and flavorful without all the calories and fat.  Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants is the best cereal I have found.  It only has 26 total carbs, nine of which are dietary fiber, and the cinnamon flavor reminds me of the sugary cereals of my youth, but without all the calories.  Of course MGD 64 for when I need a beverage after work, but don't want to kill my dinner calories.

These are a few of my new food choices.  Leave a comment and tell me about your good choices.

4 comments:

  1. I put Light Laughing Cow cheese on everything now. It gives you that creamy texture you miss by skipping mayo and that cheesey flavor you miss by skipping cheese. Good on sandwiches, toast, crackers.

    I like your tips. I'm going to go find me some Marie's Yogurt Dressing next time I'm at the store.
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich and I have been watching carbs and sugars, but sugar is hard to give up for me...so here's how I get my sweets...

      Carbsmart yogurt from fred meyer (it's in a blue container). I normally wait until it goes on sale, of course! (3 for a dollar--33 and a third cents each!) My favorite flavor is white chocolate raspberry. 60 calories, 4 carbs, 3 grams of sugar.

      Walden farms salad dressings--now some of their products suck, but their dressings are FANTASTIC. They're a bit pricey, but I think it's worth it. I've only been able to find them at Fred Meyer, but someone in the store will show you where their products are located. I know you might think, "How can something that is calorie free, fat free, sugar free, and carb free be yummy?" Just buy a bottle and try it. Heck. Let me know what flavor you'd like, and I'll buy it for you, just so I can say, "Told you so!" Love and hugs!
      Maria

      Oh, AND don't buy their ketchup. Not good. Haven't tried their mayo, but I can, and give you an update...

      Delete
  3. When eating a salad, I have my dressing on the side. With each bite, I dip my fork into the dressing before stabbing another bite of salad. This gives me a small taste with every bite but not too much. You can't believe how little dressing it takes to make a flavorful salad.

    ReplyDelete