Sunday, January 15, 2012

6 weeks of Wow

Again I sit in my house and type a blog post on my phone. One letter at a time, frustrating myself with every accidental letter that my sausage-like fingers hit. Although, I must say that I have noticed a slight decline in their circumference similar to that of my waste line. But it is still frustrating that I can't call each of you to discuss my progress, hear how your life unfolded this week and share in each other's subtleties in more detail.

I am here, mid-January, 6 weeks into what I know to be a permanent life change, and I feel stupid for not having made this change earlier. The mission of change seemed so grandiose, so much like an Everest, that I thought I was not capable, or worthy of such a change. I have fought through the inescapable fear only by having the strength of others. I needed people to believe in me before I could believe in myself.

Now that I have a glimpse of what this change can be, I am humbled by its simplicity. I am honored by the knowledge gained by reading, discussing and living what has been known to be true. Eat less, exercise more. It works!

Of course there are minor tweaks, but the essence stays the same. I am reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman, a book given to me by a good friend. And although his writing style drives me up a wall, he makes a very compelling scientific argument that we should all be Vegan. Now I don't see myself giving up meat completely, but I am asking myself questions before I eat certain foods. Could I get my protein in a healthier way right now? Do I have enough fruits and vegetables to eat with all of meals this week? Why don't I eat more beans? Read the book. You may not buy into it completely (I haven't), but you will find his chapters on the myths of what healthy foods are, like chicken, olive oil, whole grain pasta, wheat bread and milk very interesting.

I continue to use myfitnesspal with confidence. I am more active, although I definitely need to step this part of my life up. And after today's weigh in, down 8 more pounds, I am 32 total pounds closer to where I would like to be...

Wow. Who said that? I did.

3 comments:

  1. I can tell you why you don't eat more beans if you can't figure it out for yourself.
    Beans, Beans the musical fruit,
    The more you eat the more toot!
    The more you toot the better you feel,
    so lets have beans with every meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow down man. We'll all go broke :) I kid! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wait for the next weigh-in...I think we will reach the next round number...

    ReplyDelete