Friday, January 6, 2012

Pears! Who knew?

Apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, strawberries and sometimes cherries. Those were the fruits I remember eating while growing up. Apples and bananas were a staple. Grapes and strawberries were seasonal, and cherries were like one month a year. Fruits were never my first choice for a snack. I would eat them if the chips and cookies were all gone. Not begrudgingly, but not eagerly either.

Pears at my house were only purchased in the can, and eaten when we had cottage cheese with dinner. Like, a lot kids I was not a big fan of cottage cheese. So I did not eat a lot of pears growing up, and never a fresh pear. They looked funny. They bruised easily. And the texture made it feel like it had fallen in dirt right before I took a bite.

I have discovered the pleasure of eating a ripe pear now that I am eating many more fruits and vegetables. They are juicy, and have a taste that is not too sweet, but definitely not bland. They are easy to cut, or bite into, and make a great side dish to almost any meal. This left me wondering, "What else have I been missing in pears?"

A quick search of the Inter-webs tells me that they are ridiculously great for my health. One pear has 24% of my daily requirement of fiber. Hello colon health! It also has 11.5% of my daily Vitamin C, goodbye sickness. And it has copper. Who knew fruits had copper? And who knew a little copper was good for you? (Don't eat a penny! That's not what I am talking about.) The copper in a pear helps protect your body from free radicals. That is radical man!

I recommend eating more pears, but make sure you wash them. They do typically grow where they use pesticides.

Pears, a lot of health packed into 103 calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment