Monday, January 23, 2012

Athletes: The Good Kind

How many times have you heard someone say that they were sick of reading about professional athletes who got arrested, failed a drug test, or cheated on their wife. They will swear up and down that these ridiculous people don't deserve the millions that they are being paid. "We have people starving in this country and these idiots have millions?!"

I know most of you have heard it before, or even said it yourself. I know this because I have said it, and usually in conversation with my friends. Yet we still tune in to watch the games, we still buy tickets to watch in person and we still buy the team's gear for which we cheer. All of this gives money to the players we vilify.

That is one of the reasons I like Tebow. Sure it is easy to poke fun at him when he bows for each score. It's easy to mock his throwing style, as he has none. We can regurgitate every downfall we heard the talking heads on ESPN say about him, and we can post disparaging articles of his Quarterback skills on Facebook. But you know what you can't do? Doubt that he is a good person.

You can doubt that he is a virgin. You can doubt his QB skills. But you can't doubt that he is a good person. Sports writers for the past several months have been looking for stories on Tebow that will standout, and each time they write about his good deeds. He flies in a person or family that has recently suffered a tragedy for each game, and pays for their flight, hotel, rental car and tickets to the game. When he is with them before and after the game he does not want to talk about football, he wants to talk about them. When the team wins, he praises his defensive and offensive teammates. When the team loses, he takes ownership of his shortcomings. I won't even get into his charity work. This athlete is a good person, and that is refreshing.

I have another one for you. And this one has directly impacted my life, and the journey I am currently pursuing.

Growing up in Snohomish, this guy quickly became known throughout the state as a fireball pitcher. He was born with the gifts of a 96 mph fastball and a curveball that looks like it is falling off a table. He was selected 11th overall in the 1996 MLB draft and signed out of high school with the Philidelphia Phillies. During his MLB pitching career, this local hero pitched for several Major League Baseball teams including the Padres, Rangers and Phillies. Although his career was hindered with injuries, he was able to pitch for 10 years in the Big Leagues, and remain positive throughout the ups and downs.

I am blessed and honored to call Adam Eaton a friend. I was lucky enough to have met and lived with one of his high school best friends, and his cousin while attending Linfield College. Adam came down to visit a couple of times, and each time he would stop at the grocery store, and fill the bed of his truck with breads, meats, fruits, vegetables, paper towels, toilet paper and whatever else he thought we could possibly need as college students. He asked for no money in return, and when we offered he would only chuckle and say, "I am getting paid to play the game I love. You guys are working your butts off in college. You deserve to have someone spoil you a little."

Over the years I have heard stories from my two roommates about Adam giving up his time and money for charity golf tournaments, charity poker games and signing an endless supply of baseballs for young fans. He has not forgotten his roots either. He has moved back to Washington to be closer to his family after living in San Diego. His playing days are over, but his kindness has not even begun to diminish.

Last Spring when he heard I was organizing a charity wine event called Wine vs Cancer, he quickly donated half a case of Quilceda Creek to the event. If you don't know Quilceda Creek, look it up. WOW! Then he attended the event and purchased several of our auction lots. His contributions were one-third of the day's total. And it does not stop there.

When Adam heard about my life-changing request for help, he initially held back, knowing that I would get enough people to sponsor my weight loss, and be motivated to do well. He waited until he could speak to me in person, and his words were genuine and heartfelt.

"What you are doing is great. The cause for cancer is great. The thing that is more important to me, is you. Your longevity is more important than the money you raise by losing weight. Being healthy, and living longer is worth more than anything I could donate to your weight loss." A lump started to form in my throat...

"So I propose this, to make sure that this life-change is not done after the 6 months, after your final weigh-in, and all the money is raised, if you can keep the weight off, or lose more for a full year, I will match everything you raised next year."

I asked him if he realized how much money that could be, "When all is said and done, it could be around $15,000 to $20,000."

"Yes, I know. It's worth it to make sure you are with us for the long-haul. Actually, how about this? If you keep it off, I'll match. If you lose more, we can set up more incentives after your final weigh-in and I will give more, if you lose more."

The caring and generosity does not end with this guy. I can't say no to this, so I agreed, said thank you, and got a nervous knot in my stomach.

One could say that Adam Eaton is just helping out a friend, but I know that Adam has done this kind of generous act before, and not for friends and family. It was for people in need of help beyond their means. Just like Tebow, you can't doubt that he is a good person.

Not that I needed any more motivation to continue my healthy choices, the 120 of you that are supporting my weight loss have already done that, but I just received a boost and refocus on what I am eating and doing for exercise. I appreciate the support from each and everyone of you.

Now I need to do my part by staying healthy, exercising, losing weight and reaching that good person's goal for me! And that will be refreshing.

7 comments:

  1. How totally awesome is this?!! WOW! Keep it up man, you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard typing right now through my tears....
    Wow Ryan, you have touched so many people and I am so happy the way they are reaching out to you and to this cause.
    Adam has a very big heart and has been put on this earth to be a giver.
    I am so overwhelmed right now just reading this, I can only imagine how you feel.
    Thank you ADAM - I hope to meet you some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unreal! Adam, you are an amazing friend! I am excited to say thank you in person at this year's wine auction! So very cool. We love our Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radams, this is amazing. What an awesome opportunity from a great friend. That's so admirable of him. And I hope you know its true, you're friends want nothing more than for you to be healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an amazing gesture from Adam, but it is also amazing how much support and love I am receiving from all of you! I am lucky to have so many great people in my life. You all have my best interests in mind...Adam has the means to make it a larger sum, but the love is equal...

    ReplyDelete