Thursday, December 15, 2011

1st Weigh in today...

I have been thinking about this post for two weeks. Will I have to put a positive spin on a bad weigh in? Will I write about not getting my hopes up if I have a good weigh in? Should I even include an editorial and just let the number speak for itself? Will people believe what I tell them?

That's the one that stuck with me this morning. I would hope that all of you know me well enough to trust that I am being truthful. Even so, I have a friend that is either present at my weigh ins, or on the phone with me each time I step on the scale. I have taken pictures of the scale while I am teetering on top to maintain proof, but I don't think the numbers are what will be questioned.

This could be coming so far out of left field that most of you will think that I am even crazier than you ever imagined.

During the two week period between my initial request for help and my start date of December 1st, I had many people offer to help me shop, cook, workout and the like. There were also more than a few people that offered to help me bulk up before the first weigh in so my initial weight would be bigger, I could lose more, and then raise more money for the American Cancer Society.

At first this seemed appealing. I mean, I am doing this for myself and for charity. Would packing on a few more pounds before I begin be that big of a deal? Would eating salty food and drinking a lot of water the day before be that big of an advantage? How big of an impact could it really have on my weigh in? 3 pounds? 5 pounds? What is that, $3-5 more for more most of you by the end of this thing? For one person, $30-50!

I thought about all of this and more. Then I realized, that would not be me. I want to earn my weight loss. I want to earn those fundraising dollars. I want this to be a genuine experience. And it has been.

Some people have asked if they could donate as they go, so the end result does not bust their bank account. Of course. The easiest way will be to donate to my online fundraising page. Their is no processing fee, and it is very quick with a credit/debit card. Use the link below, or wait until the final number. I am not going to hound anyone for the donations. If you sponsored me, it will be on your honor to donate along the way, or at the end.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12National?px=9921451&pg=personal&fr_id=38763

Thanks for reading my mind-puke, and thanks again for supporting me through this life change.
Happy Holidays!
Ryan

Oh yeah. My weigh in. I lost 19 pounds!

And BOOM goes the Dynamite!

6 comments:

  1. 19! That's a lot in a few short weeks. I hope you're being careful. I'm super encouraged that you're having so much success and will continue to pray for your resolve, stamina and health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 19??? THAT'S AWESOME! Just be careful as the first few weigh-ins may be big numbers and your body may plateau. It's what you're DOING and how you FEEL that matters, not just the numbers on the scale. You're awesome, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ry,
    I am so proud of you! Congratulations on the first step to Healthy and fit!
    It has to feel so great to be shredding that weight off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Ryan. And I have to be honest, when I read your post about those who wanted you to gain weight before the first weigh-in, in order to take more money out of the pockets of the people supporting you, I was a bit pissed off. Who does that? Completely and utterly dishonest and I'm happy you chose to ignore their advice. Anyway, great job on the first weigh in. Stay strong over break bud!
    UW85

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Ryan! I am so proud of you sticking with the myfitnesspal and logging everything in. You are so on track and on top of your meals and portions. Congrats! Here's to each week feeling a little lighter and smarter. Love you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are awesome!
    You have triggered a virtuous cycle which will continue giving you favorable results.
    Your updates are great, they make me feel like we are chatting, even if it is kind of a one sided dialogue.

    ReplyDelete